Long Beach Walls Public Art
By Yamilet Diaz
Location: I chose this area, which is Long Beach, because it is an area that I'm often in close proximity to due to my job. I love to drive around some of the murals on my way home from work. Although I like to often admire the long beach walls, I actually don't know much about them, and wanted to know more about them and the thought process of these talented artists.This project gave me the opportunity to learn about the inspiration, cultural significance, and messages behind the artwork while gaining a deeper appreciation for how public art contributes to the identity of the city. Since I spend so much time in Long Beach, I wanted to explore the murals that are part of my everyday surroundings and better understand the role they play in bringing the community together.
1. Field Work
Name: The Tree of Life 2024
Location: 375 The Promenade N. Long Beach, CA
Artist: Andrea Wan
Reason for artwork: Andrea Wan said on her social media, "This Tree of Life is also a personal family tree, featuring my parents and grandma. It honors the roots that have shaped me, whose sacrifices and dreams ultimately gave me the life I live today." Her art is a lot about connecting nature to the human psyche. I found this piece when hanging out with my family, and we found ourselves encaptured by the long beach walls of art. This piece really stood out to me, and I found this to be my favorite mural of all.
2. Field Work
Name: The Bond 2018
Location: 404 Pine Ave, Long Beach, CA 90805
Artist: CASE (Andreas von Chrzanowski)
Reason for artwork: The separation of children from families at the border, hundreds of children are being held, the consequences can result in tramua he also mentions #abolishice #freethekids #familiesbelongtogether. I believe this artwork remains highly significant in today's society, and we continue to face issues like these, if not worse.
3. Field Work
Name: untitled 2024
Location: 227 E 6th St, Long Beach, CA
Artist: Ledania and Sakoasko
Reason for artwork: The reason for the piece was to bring community-driven public art to the city, cultivating local pride and transforming urban spaces into open-air galleries. I believe that this mural serves as a reminder that although people come from different experiences and viewpoints, empathy and open-mindedness allow us to build stronger relationships.
4. Field Work
Name: Untitled 2021
Location:1731 East 4th St., Long Beach, CA 90802
Artist: Brittney Price & Shak Smart
Reason for artwork: The mural is intended to amplify underrepresented voices and celebrate Black creativity. Brittney Price, who describes herself as a "community-taught artist," uses her artwork to honor Black culture, share stories that are often overlooked, and highlight both the struggles and achievements of Black Americans. The mural aims to inspire and educate the community while promoting unity and empowerment. Shak Smart, a South Central Los Angeles muralist and graffiti artist, uses public art to connect with local communities, challenge social stigmas, and encourage people to seek knowledge and create positive change.
Name: Untitled 2018
Location: 70 Atlantic Ave, Long Beach, CA 90802
Artist: Wiley Wallace
Reason for artwork: Wiley Wallace's mural was created to enhance the public space and make art accessible to everyone. Through vibrant colors and abstract geometric designs, the mural transforms an ordinary wall into a landmark that encourages curiosity, creativity, and community pride. Although there is no official statement by wallace I think this mural represents familiarity and unity when presented with new chapters in life.
Analysis
I currently work in the area, so I often see the long beach walls of art being as they're located in many places within the city. All these artist participtitate in the annual Long Beach Walls festival hosted every summer, where artists can express themselves and cultivate their community, and participate in the art festival. Exploring the Long Beach Walls murals helped me better understand the importance of public art and the impact it can have on a community. Before this assignment, I admired these murals mainly because they were visually appealing, but I never stopped to consider the stories, messages, and intentions behind them. After researching the artists and their work, I realized that each mural serves a unique purpose while contributing to the city's identity and reflection of societal issues. Proposal
After exploring the Long Beach Walls murals, I believe the city should continue supporting and expanding public art programs like this one. Public murals make art accessible to everyone, enhance neighborhoods, and provide artists with an opportunity to share meaningful stories and perspectives. I would propose creating more interactive public art events where community members can meet the artists and learn about the inspiration behind each mural, as well as participate in collaborative mural projects. This would help strengthen the connection between artists and the local community while encouraging greater admiration for public art. I think this can help the community further connect with the artist and connect through shared experiences.
Comments
Post a Comment