Civil Engagement Project- Playas de Tijuana

Phase #1: Cite 


For my cite, I chose to focus on Playas de Tijuana, it is located about 5 minutes away from the international U.S.-Mexico border. This neighborhood has a beach which is neighbors to Imperial Beach, CA. I have focused on this neighborhood in previous assignments and chose to work on this one again because it is where I grew up for most of my life. My earliest memories are from walking on that beach and going to the park with my family. Art is very encouraged and shown in this area, and for as long as I can remember it has been around. After a while of not visiting, I spent this summer going back and seeing some family, it has brough back a lot of memories and  I remembered how special this place was to me. 

Phase #2: Field Work 

#1: Project: Common Roots.

Location: Andador 12, Playas de Tijuana Pier.

Artist: Libre (Alfredo Libre Gutierrez) and Panca +20 other young artists and locals .  

Theme: Recycling, Environmental Sustainability.  

Who is represented/excluded: Local communities. 

Materials: Paint, plants, furniture made from 100% recycled plastic. 

Sponsors: 

  • Fundación Coppel
  • International Community Foundation (ICF)
  • United Way México (Fondo Unido México)
  • Inscriptions: 

    This project was made to support the message of creating something beautiful out of trash and waste. This area was transformed into a lively and fun place for families to enjoy their time and the art. The slogan "Reusar para crear, crear para cuidar" (Reuse to create, create to care) is a way to express that message of caring for your own neighborhood, as well as teaching young people that there can be art in many different things, such as recycled trash. 

                   
                                #2: Project: Corazónes en el Malecon de Playas de Tijuana     


    Location: Playas de Tijuana Pier, Near the U.S.-Mexico international border. 

    Artist: About 20 different artists each created a heart, they are spread among Tijuana. 

    Theme: Unity and love within communities. 

    Who is represented/excluded: Represents communities with disabilities.

    Materials: Painted Fiberglass. 

    Sponsors: Fundación Teleton, an organization that supports and donates to children who have disabilities, such as cancer, and autism. 

    Community reactions: It is a very popular sculpture, and its location allows it for many tourists and those walking by to stop and read its purpose and background. 

    #3: Project: Playas de Tijuana Mural Project. 


    Location: U.S.-Mexico international Border. 

    Artist: Mauro Carrera, directed by Lizbeth De La Cruz, along many other volunteers and community members. 

    Theme: Migrant families, Deportation, DACA recipients. 

    Materials: Paint 

    Sponsors: UC Davis Mellon Public Scholars Fellowship and UC Hispanic Serving Institution Pre-Professoriate Fellowship. 

    Inscriptions: In her digital portfolio, Lizbeth De La Cruz, gives us a story of each of the 15 individuals who are on this mural. As well as QR codes along the mural to access this portfolio.

    Community reactions: Over time, this has become an important and popular artwork within the community, not only does it represent one community, it touched many communities all over the world, and its location is a brave and critical piece of this art. 

    Phase#3: Critical Analysis 

    In the public realm, these pieces tend to represent communities, youth, and locals. The main histories are how we can, as a community, be together and help each other. Similarly, I think a lot of these pieces touch on the subject of struggle, and how they make something creative and beautiful from it to raise awareness. A lot of these projects are funded by non-profit organizations, schools, and other local governments, which I think it allows us to see how communities come together to decide on and make this art. 

    Phase #4: Proposal 

    Something I have seen in my community that I like is that there is art everywhere. In the pier, as you're walking, there is murals, graffiti, and sculptures all over for you to see, I think it is something truly beautiful and everything tells a story. Something that I  dislike, and it can be improved on is the lack of cleaning there is being done on the streets and on the beach. I do believe it is something we, as a community are getting better at. There have been multiple groups of volunteers who have gather to clean our beaches and our streets, I have gone a couple times and it is always fun to see how many people come together for our community. I believe the number of murals all through the pier are very special and allows for this community to stand out, I believe it should be maintained and a lot of the older and messed up sculptures and murals should be retouched. 

    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    Leimert Park Neighborhood in Los Angeles

    Arts District Public Art Erica C

    Silver Lake Public Art- Shay Harding