Exploring Public Art in Downtown Anaheim by Itzel Farias

 For my civic engagement project, I chose Pearson Park and the surrounding Downtown Anaheim area. I chose this location because Anaheim has been my home my entire life, and it is a place that I know well. Although I have been to Pearson Park many times, I have never really taken the time to look closely at the public art or think about what it represents.

Growing up, my family and I would visit Pearson Park, especially during Halloween when the city hosts seasonal events and activities. Over the years, I have also seen the park change. I remember when it wasn't considered one of the nicest parks, but after the city invested in improvements, it became a cleaner, more welcoming place for families and community events. Seeing how much the area has changed made me want to choose it for this project.

I also chose this site because it represents a part of my hometown that I have watched grow over the years. Since I already have a personal connection to the area, I thought it would be interesting to learn more about the public art and how it reflects the community today.


Pond area at Pearson Park 



Walking path and pond at Pearson Park.



Art work: Kobe and Gianna Bryant Memorial 

Location: Pearson Park, Anaheim, California


Memorial


Description:

The Kobe and Gianna Bryant memorial is located inside Pearson Park and serves as a tribute to the lives and legacy of Kobe Bryant and his daughter, Gianna. The artwork features large portraits of Kobe and Gianna smiling together with butterfly wings behind them. The basketball court is painted in purple, one of the Los Angeles Lakers’ signature colors, and includes both of their names in the center of the court. The memorial creates a space where visitors can remember their impact while also enjoying the park.


My Connection:

Even though I have visited Pearson Park many times throughout my life, seeing this memorial gave me a different appreciation for the park. Growing up in Southern California, Kobe Bryant was someone almost everyone knew, whether they watched basketball or not. His impact went beyond sports, and his passing affected many people in the community. I like that this memorial is located in a public park because it gives people a place to remember both Kobe and Gianna while also encouraging kids and families to enjoy the basketball court.

Community Representation:

I think this memorial represents more than basketball. It represents family, perseverance, and community. It also shows how public art can bring people together by honoring individuals who inspired so many others. Instead of simply placing a statue or plaque in the park, Anaheim created a space that people can interact with every day, making the memorial feel like an important part of the community rather than something that is only meant to be looked at.


Walking around Pearson Park made me appreciate the memorial even more. Seeing people enjoy the park, whether they were walking, sitting by the pond, or just spending time outside, made me realize how naturally the artwork fits into the space. It doesn’t feel out of place or like something people just walk past. It feels like it’s become part of the park and part of the community.


Critical Analysis

Doing this project made me realize that public art can completely change the way people see a place. Before, I mostly thought of Pearson Park as somewhere to walk around, relax, or attend events. After spending more time looking at the artwork, I realized it also tells a story about what the community values.

The Kobe and Gianna Bryant memorial represents two people who inspired millions, especially throughout Southern California. Choosing to place the memorial in a public park makes it accessible to everyone instead of keeping it inside a museum or another private space. Anyone visiting the park has the opportunity to stop, look at it, and reflect on its meaning.

At the same time, Anaheim is a very diverse city, and this project made me think about how public art could represent even more of the people and cultures that make up the community. While I think the memorial is meaningful, I also think there is room for artwork that highlights Anaheim’s history and the different backgrounds of the people who live here.

Overall, this project changed the way I look at public art. I realized it isn’t just decoration, it reflects what a community chooses to remember and share with others. I know the next time I visit a park or walk through a city, I’ll probably pay more attention to the artwork instead of walking right past it.



 Proposal

I really enjoyed doing this project because it made me think about public art in a different way. I’ve always appreciated murals and other public artwork because I think they make a place feel more unique and interesting. What changed for me was realizing that every piece is there for a reason. Whether it’s a mural, memorial, or sculpture, each one has a significance and tells a story that the community wants to preserve or share with others.

If I could add something to Pearson Park, I would like to see more public art that highlights Anaheim’s history and the different cultures that make up the city. I think it would give visitors the chance to learn more about the community while also making more people feel represented.

After visiting Pearson Park, I left with a greater appreciation for the meaning behind public art. It’s not just about creating something beautiful to look at. Every piece has its purpose, whether it’s honoring someone’s legacy, remembering an important moment, or celebrating the people and the community. I think that’s what makes public art so meaningful.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leimert Park Neighborhood in Los Angeles

Arts District Public Art Erica C

Silver Lake Public Art- Shay Harding