Eastside - Murals Gema G.B
Civic Engagement Project
Dozier Street in East Los Angeles, 90022
I was born and raised in East Los Angeles. I chose these murals because they are an important part of my community and daily life. I am familiar with their artistic features, cultural significance, and stories they represent. My history with these murals goes back to my childhood, as I have seen and interacted with them every day while living in the neighborhood. I chose them because they reflect the identity, history, and creativity of the community where I grew up, making them meaningful and interesting to study.
Artist - Paul Botello painted the mural "Virgin's Seed in 1991 on the side of a market in East Los Angeles. This mural shows a central depiction of Our Lady of Guadalupe. Surrounded by urban and symbolic imagery. The artwork blends religious iconography with community and cultural themes, featuring a skeletal form on the left, a large, serene face, and a crowd of people on the right. Murals like this are very common in Boyle Heights and East Los Angeles. The mural has a vibrant color palette, including deep blues, fiery reds, and golden yellow, characteristic of street art that refuse tradition urban aesthetics. The mural is talking about the Chicano Mexican American community of East LA, the working class. This mural was funded through the community and Our Lady of Guadalupe church. It was created to reflect Mexican American religious and cultural identity, not for commercial advertising.
I chose this mural because I attend the Catholic church
located directly in front of it. As a Mexican American, seeing the iconic
figure of the Virgin of Guadalupe is powerful because it connects me back to my
roots. It reflects the everyday struggles of the neighborhood and serves as a
reminder of the strength needed to overcome obstacles. The mural holds deep
cultural and spiritual meaning, inspiring resilience, faith, and pride in my
heritage. My uncle also lives near the church and is my dad's brother, which
makes this area feel even more connected to my family and personal history.
From a Mural to a Public Art installation called "Syncretic Manifestations" by Paul Botello, featuring a laser-cut metal panel inspired by Mesoamerican cultures. This installation is located on Indian Station on the LA Metro E Line. Botello, inspired by the classic style of the Anasazi, Maya, and Aztec Pre-Columbian cultures, infused the artwork with a modern sensibility and stands as a metaphor for the relationship between nature, society, and the sacred. The installation has a Papel Picado style and is made of stainless steel. This traditional folk art is itself a syncretic evolution, evolving from ancient Aztec bark paper used in rituals. The figure in the center depicts a deity from whom life flows, echoing the Maya and Aztec tradition of honoring gods as the source of nature and society.
The connection I have with this public installation is personal and meaningful. On Tuesdays, I take the Metro line to visit my aunt, who lives in a nearby elderly home, and I pass by the installation along the way. It is also inspiring to see a different type of artwork by the same artist, especially in a medium such as steel. This public installation is powerful because it brings people in my community together and encourages interaction. Viewing art in a public space also allows us to reflect on ideas we may not normally think about, such as our connection to Mother Earth and the environment around us.
Hilda L. Solis Learning Academy East Los Angeles, CA 90022
Artist Jose Antonio Aguirre's Ceramic Mural "Journey to Knowledge". This mural was intended to inspire students at the Hilda L. Solis Learning Academy. It was installed in 2013, and it is made of digital ceramic tile and covers an area of roughly 20 by 40 feet. The artwork, featuring Aztec mythology symbols like Tonatiuh, the sun god, has three main elements: the eagle, Tonatiuh (the sun god), and a shaman to inspire students. This mural design integrates with the school's architecture to encourage cultural pride and the pursuit of knowledge. This amazing ceramic mural is very colorful. We, as the viewers, can depict some elements of art like line, shade, color, and texture. Gold and Yellow represent the sun; Tonatiuh is at the center, which indicates an important figure in history. He also symbolizes life-giving energy, warmth, and the light of knowledge that guides students. Red symbolizes blood and sacrifice. In this context, it reflects the hard work and heart.
Before this mural was created, the building served as the well-known Santa Martha Hospital, where my twin cousins were born. I remember walking inside the building when I was younger, so this location brings back many childhood memories because of its history and personal memories. Today, the building serves as a school that empowers the community by inspiring Latino students, including people like me, to pursue their goals through education. It encourages new generations of Mexican Americans to stay in school, make positive choices, and become role models for other students in their community.
The Vallarta Supermarkets located on Whittier Blvd are at 3425 Whittier Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90023
Artist 3- Roberto Vargas painted "Pasion y suenos," translated as " Passion and Dreams, " which is located at the Vallarta Supermarket on Whittier Blvd in Boyle Heights. Vargas, a native of the neighborhood, is well-known for his large-scale public works that celebrate community and cultural identity. He recently updated the mural in collaboration with the Mexican National Team ahead of the 2026 FIFA World Cup. This mural depicts a young boy dreaming big as part of a series celebrating the 2026 FIFA World Cup. The mural symbolizes the hope and ambition that the tournament brings to young people. Similar murals featuring children in soccer gear have been created in cities like Houston and Dallas to welcome the global event.
I often interact with the mural because it is located in an area I visit regularly. I sometimes shop for groceries at the Vallarta Market, which has been a part of my life for many years. My pharmacy is also located across the street on Whittier Boulevard, so I pass by the mural frequently. Seeing the young boy depicted in the mural reminds me of my own childhood, including my passion, dreams, and the goals I hoped to achieve as I grew up. The mural creates a personal connection to my past and serves as a reminder of where I come from and the experiences that helped shape me.
Vargas' works often focus on themes of resiliency and empowerment, frequently featuring residents from the local community as subjects.
EL Super Market, located in East Los Angeles, 5646 Whittier Blvd, Commerce, CA 90022
Artist: Rodolfo Orozco painted "Choose your side Classic" sport theme, especially the Classic rivalry between two High Schools, Garfield High School Bulldogs and the Roosevelt High School Rough Riders, a historic East Los Angeles football tradition known as the East L.A. Classic. The East L.A. Classic "football game, which has been established since 1925. The mural depicts football helmets of the two rival schools, Garfield (G) and Roosevelt (R). Black and White illustrative style, often used in contemporary heritage murals to evoke the history of the neighborhood. These murals are commonly found at El Super locations in East Los Angeles, celebrating the deep-rooted local traditions of the surrounding community.
I chose this mural because I attended Garfield High School, and seeing it makes me feel proud of my community and my school. It reminds me of where I came from and the experiences that helped shape who I am today. The mural reflects the spirit, achievement, and cultural pride of the community. I believe the mural is targeted toward current high school students and graduates, encouraging them to take pride in their education.
I asked a local resident about her opinion on the local murals; in the community, I asked her if she liked them and supported local artists in the community. The interview was in Spanish. Her reaction to this topic on local murals was a positive one. She. enjoyed looking at them specially the one of a lady walking her child to school.
Arizona Ave East Los Angeles 90023

Artist Carlos Aguilar's mural pays
tribute to prominent figures and symbols of Mexican and Chicano history and
resistance. The figures depicted are Emiliano Zapata and Pancho Villa, influential
leaders of the Mexican Revolution. A Zapatista Woman: shown wearing a balaclava
(black mask), which represents the Zapatista Army of National Liberation)
movement in Chiapas. The Virgin of Guadalupe: Visible on the far left, a central
cultural and religious icon. Joaquin Murrieta: the legendary figure often
called the "Robin Hood of the West." The mural's style is
characterized by the Chicano muralism movement in Los Angeles, which uses
public art to provide a "Mexican perspective "on local and cultural
history.
I chose this mural because it is new, it has vibrant colors, and it represents a powerful history. The mural depicts important social events that resulted in the loss of lives. It also honors important figures such as Joaquin Murrieta, Ruben Salazar, and a Zapatista woman who symbolizes the struggles for indigenous rights, social justice, and resistance. It serves as a reminder of the struggles, resilience, and contributions of the Mexican Community. I interact with this mural almost every day as I pass by it on my way to the bank or while shopping at Target. Because I see it so often, it has become a meaningful landmark that connects me to my cultural heritage and community.
Vargas' works often focus on themes of resiliency and empowerment, frequently featuring residents from the local community as subjects.
S Ditman Ave in East Los Angeles 90023
The
central figure is Ruben Salazar, depicted along with his newspaper, the Los
Angeles Times. The mural commemorates the Chicano Moratorium, a significant
protest against the Vietnam War that took place on August 29, 1970
The
artwork also features surrealist elements, including a large green alien figure
smoking a joint, juxtaposed with the serious historical subject matter. It is
located in East Los Angeles and represents a tribute to community and
resistance.
I chose this mural because it is located next to Salazar Park, a place that has special meaning to me. I often take nephews to this park, and it brings back memories of my childhood because my father used to take me there when I was young. Seeing the mural reminds me of those experiences and my connection to the community.
What I observe in my community is that there are many murals, but very few sculptures or other types of public art. Some murals also repeat the same iconic figures. It would be interesting to see more variety in how culture is represented, including other forms of art such as installations. Adding different artistic styles and more use of color could help bring new perspectives and make the community's public art even more engaging and diverse.
.jpg)











Comments
Post a Comment