Pasadena — Public Art
THE SITE
The city of Pasadena is where I reside, and have been since I was eight. I honestly have rarely explored Pasadena, since I have always been a homebody. I don't really see a lot of public art where I am located, but near old Pasadena there is some murals.
FIELD WORK
https://www.cityofpasadena.net/public-art/artwork/quetzalcoatl/
Located: Pasadena Central Park / 37 E Del Mar Blvd
Materials: Acrylic paint
Located: Central Park, Pasadena, CA 275 S Raymond Ave
Materials: Tile mosaic panel
"Central Park Play Environment" -- 1999
By Jane MacDonald Adrian, Antje Hammer

A bench with mosaic tile that represents Pasadena's history, and meant to capture what a child's imagination would encompass. Through the shapes, textures, and colors-- the bench is one of many in the park area. They are education and narrative, meant to showcase Pasadena's history through four themes.
The past: local history and heritage; The Sciences: Scientific elements, Nature, ecology; The Arts: creativity and cultural expression, and finally Places: specific locations and landmarks in Pasadena.
Materials: Handcrafted ceramic tiles, glazed and painted.
Location: Central Park, Pasadena, CA 275 S Raymond Ave
"Greetings from Pasadena" 2024 - By Victor Ving & Lisa BeggsThe piece is meant to boost local pride and welcome new communities. It's a nice representation of Pasadena with it's vibrant palette.
Location: 130 E Colorado Blvd, Old Pasadena
CRITICAL ANALYSIS
Many of the public artworks in Pasadena represent diversity and community. As well as a strong natural identity, many featuring Pasadena's landmarks: City Hall Dome, the landscape, and events such as the Rose parade. Highlighting Pasadena's welcoming community and pride. Biodiversity and nature occur in this pattern as well; as many pieces incorporate themes with birds, trees, and flowers. Revealing Pasadena's care for environmental awareness and illustrates the city's historic connection to citrus groves.
Pasadena is a diverse, welcoming community, which is shown through public artworks through Old town Pasadena.
PROPOSAL
The area I live in Pasadena lacks a lot of public art, that is something I dislike and wish to see more. Pasadena may be known for it's strong public art program, like (Greetings Tour). But I feel like in areas that aren't parks and populated areas that attract tourists, should have more art. Pasadena has so much and so little at the same time.
For example, I believe neighborhoods in Pasadena should incorporate more public artworks, that also could reflect the community there. Rather a majority of murals representing Pasadena itself.






Comments
Post a Comment