Public Art - Alhambra

Public Art in Alhambra 


Although I was born in San Gabriel, I was raised in Alhambra, California. I had the option to choose either because I live on the edge between San Gabriel and Alhambra but I ended up choosing alhambra because I am more familiar with it and have spent more of my time there. I spent a majority of my time at the High School there as well as shopping, restaurants, and local events. I had actually spent my 21st birthday there at a local bar, called Chicken Koop. I like Alhambra because it has a diverse population and a mix of historical landmarks, murals, sculptures, and local businesses that reflect its culture and history.

Field Work

The Mosaics & Fountains
Artist Unknown
Public Mosaic & Fountain
Glass mosaic, tile, concrete, and water features
Alhambra Renaissance Plaza, Garfield Ave. & Main St., Alhambra, CA 91801

The Mosaics & Fountains at Alhambra Renaissance Plaza is a bunch of colorful mosaic artwork and decorative fountains. this creates a space where residents and visitors can sit down, relax, hangout and meet other people. This sort of acts as a meet up spot for people, especially since its next to the theatres. It is also the cross street of garfield and main street, which is one of the busiest intersections in Alhambra, the artwork helps make a ordinary plaza into one of the most recognizable artworks for anyone who lives in alhambra.

The Statue of James de Barth Shorb

Victor Amaro (Statue), Art Mortimer (Mural)
Public Sculpture & Mural 
Bronze, painted mural, stone, and fountain
Shorb Garden, 68 S. First St., Alhambra, CA 91801

The Statue of James de Barth Shorb, along with the historical mural and fountain at Shorb Garden, honors one of the founders of modern Alhambra. The installation honors the contributions Shorb made to the Alhambra's development, water system and showcases the important moments from Alhambra's history through the mural. The garden also acts as a quiet public space where visitors can learn about the city's past while relaxing, sitting and hanging out. 





Statue of Warner Jenkins

Artist Unknown
Public Sculpture
Bronze on stone pedestal
Pedestrian Entrance to City Hall, 111 S. First St., Alhambra, CA 91801

The Statue of Warner Jenkins is another installation that pay's respect to one of alhambra's historical civic leaders. The statue stands at the pedestrian entrance to Alhambra City Hall to recognizes Jenkins' dedication to public service and his efforts for the growth of Alhambra. Although hundreds of people walk by the sculpture while visiting City Hall and may not know who the statue is, it continues to represent Alhambra's appreciation and respect for local leadership and public service.

Analysis

The public art in downtown Alhambra heavily focuses on the city's history and civic identity. Two of the three works focus on influential historical figures and the Renaissance Plaza mosaics create a welcoming public space to chill out, sit, and relax. Together, these artworks tell how Alhambra developed while encouraging visitors and people who live in Alhambra to appreciate shared public spaces. The City of Alhambra actively supports public art through its Arts & Cultural Events Commission and its Art in Public Places Program, which helps fund and approve artwork throughout the city. 

One thing I like about Alhambra's public art is it's ease of access. The mosaics, fountains, and statues are located in areas where people naturally walk, shop, and gather, making art part of everyday life instead of something only found in museums. The Renaissance Plaza, in particular, creates a relaxing atmosphere where people can relax while enjoying the artwork. One thing I dislike is how much of the public art represents only historical leaders instead of the people who currently make up Alhambra's diverse community. The city has a large diverse population, but there are relatively few permanent artworks celebrating these diverse populations or telling modern community stories.

Proposal

If I could propose new public art for Alhambra, I would recommend creating murals throughout downtown that celebrate the city's cultural diversity and local neighborhoods. I would also encourage the city to commission local artists, students, and community groups to design future installations. This would allow public art to reflect both Alhambra's history and the people who live there today, creating a stronger connection between residents and their community.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leimert Park Neighborhood in Los Angeles

Arts District Public Art Erica C

Silver Lake Public Art- Shay Harding