Public Art in Monrovia, CA - Ruthie Adams

 

Civic Engagement Project: Monrovia, CA


Phase 1: The Site

The city I chose to feature in this civic engagement project is the city of Monrovia, California. While I don't live in Monrovia, I only live 10 minutes away, so I frequent it often. I have friends that live in Monrovia and it is the perfect walkable town for coffee, grabbing a bite to eat, or to support small businesses. The streets of Monrovia are full of public art, ranging from statues, ceramic pieces, painted pieces, etc. 


Phase 2: Field Work

Piece #1: "Action!"

Location: South Myrtle Ave.
Artist: Daniel Stern
Theme: Celebration of Monrovia's connection to the movie industry
Who is Represented: Movie makers and artists
Materials: Bronze
Sponsors: Monrovia Community Services Department

Piece #2: Samson Bears


Location: Various areas in Monrovia 
Artist: Traci Loving (Left) Rachael Quimayousie (Right)
Who is Represented: Artists who want to show off their creativity and showcase the various areas of the town
Materials: Fiberglass
Sponsors: Art in Public Places Committee, local businesses, and Mount Sierra College

Piece #3: Mark Twain


Location: Myrtle Ave. in front of the library
Artist: Gary Price
Theme: Commitment to preserve the city's literary culture
Who is Represented: Authors and others that love literature
Materials: Bronze
Sponsors: N/A

Piece #4: Big Belly #3


Location: Myrtle Ave.
Artist: N/A
Theme: The history of Monrovia
Who is Represented: Those who created the foundation of what we know as Monrovia today
Materials: Vinyl
Sponsors: N/A

Piece #5: The Sunflowers


Location: Myrtle and Lime Ave.
Artist: Florette Bushell
Theme: Creativity
Who is Represented: Community artists
Materials: Paint
Sponsors: N/A

Piece #6: Angel Wings


Location: South of Myrtle Ave. in an alley
Artist: Bryan Hillberg
Theme: Community
Who is Represented: Popular amongst tourists to take pictures with
Materials: Paint and sealed coat
Sponsors: N/A


Phase 3: Critical Analysis

A lot of the public art in Monrovia is created for the public, by the public. The Art in Public Places Committee oversees every art installation, who then present it to the City Council. Growing up, I was always interested in a lot of the public art I would pass by and I'm happy to say a lot of what I saw growing up is still in its place today. Monrovia values its public art and it also serves as a homage to the community its helped build. It's a very culturally rich environment and thrives on giving back to the community. Each piece of public art can be admired by anyone, there is no specific theme. 

Phase 4: Proposal

Monrovia is a welcoming city that invites its visitors to enjoy all aspects of community. From the restaurants, shops, movie theater, and library/ library park, Monrovia has something for everyone. While walking around town, you are also bound to come across some form of Monrovia's public art. Murals, statues, and paintings are all common types of public art in this small town. There is a wide variety of what you could find while walking down the main street. I love the sense of community that this town brings and appreciate its openness to allow anyone to install their art. The main thing I like about Monrovia's public art is that it lets you find it, rather than being obvious. I enjoy walking down the side streets and recognizing a piece of public art that I would've never assumed to be there. Whether its another statue, painting on the wall, or a Samson Bear sitting politely on a corner. The art is all unique in its own way and really showcases the importance of artistic culture.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leimert Park Neighborhood in Los Angeles

Arts District Public Art Erica C

Silver Lake Public Art- Shay Harding